Saturday, July 19, 2008

Patriotism

Patriotism: Positive and supportive attitudes to a 'fatherland' by individuals and groups. The 'fatherland' (or 'motherland') can be a region or a city, but patriotism usually applies to a nation and/or a nation-state. Patriotism covers such attitudes as: pride in its achievements and culture, the desire to preserve its character and the basis of the culture, and identification with other members of the nation.

Growing up in Knoxville, TN I was repulsed by the offensive orange of the University of Tennessee. I was surrounded by it- waves of orange crowds would fill the streets in the Fall and "Rocky Top" blared from every car radio. My aversion to the color and its purpose- the uniting of a people under a regional or affiliated umbrella did not change when I attended the University. Yes, I was a UT student and Knoxville resident. I was even in the "Pride of the Southland Marching Band" and attended every football game my Freshman year. How could I not consider myself a 'Volunteer' and proudly wave my orange and white Flag?

What had begun as an aversion to a hue- the particular shade and tint of a particular color- developed into an aversion of 'sameness' or assumed belonging. I did not choose to be a Knoxvillian - I was born there. It seemed to me that any affiliation should be a conscious choice. I attended the University because it was the most practical, convenient, and affordable; not because I had any great pride or reverence for the institution. This does not mean, of course, that it does not deserve respect- it does, but I did not necessarily know that then. I joined the Band because I enjoyed Marching, not because I wanted to be part of the 'Pride.' I was discouraged by the Directors who seemed to take the reverence for the concept of the Marching Band to an extreme - having so much pride in it that any mistake was a disaster.

It was not until I left Knoxville and had been gone a good while that I discovered how much that particular space, the actual land itself was a part of me. I chose to come to Atlanta and make it my home- to affiliate with this dynamic and complex city. Yet, I discovered that Knoxville was and always will be my 'Home.' I know her hidden spots, her busiest streets, her highlights and her faults. The city is not a single entity- but thousands of individual entities connected simply by proximity and time. Our lives are but fragments of moments, lived in a minute space in this big universe. Should we feel an affinity, obligation, or pride in the places we happen to live? What is the outcome of these attachments?

We begin to invest ourselves- to make them better places to live. We perform our obligations- voting and sitting on Boards and various government or social planning committees. We also clean up parks, adopt highways, speak out against corruption, violence, abuse, and crime. We donate our time, resources and energy to various city projects and events. And yes, we even support our local sports teams to create a sense of community and togetherness.

Patriotism is what develops from the understanding that you are part of the community in which you live and that it is a part of you - When you have developed attachments to particular coffee shops, restaurants, streets, scenic views, businesses, and sports teams, and begin to give of yourself. At last night's AIF meeting we discussed the particular challenges of immigrants in regard to patriotism. Many times they feel a dual affiliation- they have invested themselves in both places. Other times, they have an aversion to one or the other due to experience, belief, politics, or culture.

"Serve Allah, and join not any partners with Him; and do good- to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, those in need, neighbours who are near, neighbours who are strangers, the companion by your side, the wayfarer" (Qur'an 4:36)

To God, there are no political, cultural, or social lines. We are members of a larger community, the whole of humanity. In this, our obligations begin at home- to those who are nearest to us. I am first a Muslim, second a citizen of the world, and yes, my blood does run orange.

-Melissa
American Islamic Fellowship
blog@americanislamicfellowship.com

No comments:

Post a Comment